Some foods are strikingly photogenic. Green tomatoes are now on the top of that list. I feel I should just hush my typing fingers and hope that this sort of beauty happens in your kitchen, soon.
Fried Green Tomatoes makes about 8 slices
feel free to double the recipe. Fry in the same amount of oil, just have more oil on hand because if you fry multiple batches, the oil might need to be changed if it gets full of batter residue.
1 3/4 pound green tomato
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
canola oil for frying. Quantity depends on what size pan you use. Have enough oil in the bottom of the pan to create a 1/4 inch thick layer
1. Thinly slice green tomato
2. Place slices in buttermilk for 15 minutes
3. Mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper
4. Heat oil over medium heat in large deep skillet
5. Dredge buttermilk soaked tomato slices in the cornmeal mixture and set slices aside on a plate
6. When oil is hot (test this by dropping a little bit of cornmeal mixture into oil and if it floats and starts to crackle and brown, the oil is ready) place 3-4 slices of tomato at a time in pan. Cook for 3 minutes and then flip for 3 more minutes on the other side. When golden, remove from pan and drain on a paper grocery sack. Serve as a side, or with eggs, or on a sandwich with red tomatoes, grainy mustard, melted asiago, and baby greens.